Vacancy Notice: International Consultant to provide assistance in preparation of National Strategy for the Development of Statistics (NSDS), Mongolia
Location: National Statistical Office, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Deadline for application: 04 September 2014, 17.00 Ulaanbaatar time
Type of contract: Individual Consultant
Starting Date: 08 September 2014
Duration of the Contract: 30 days over the duration from 8 September to 30 November 2014
Languages Required: English
The National Statistical Office of Mongolia (NSO) has obtained a grant from the World Bank to prepare the National Strategy for the Development of Statistics (NSDS) and is seeking a short-term international consultant to undertake an independent, critical and in-depth assessment of the National Statistical System (NSS) of Mongolia and design the National Strategy for the Development of Statistics (NSDS).
The planned duration of the consultant’s service is 30 working days running from September 1 to November 30, 2014. The consultant will carry out the following activities:
- Assessment: Review the various aspects of the National Statistical System (NSS), legal frameworks, institutional structures, resources, IT infrastructure, dissemination policies, sectoral statistics etc. This assessment will identify gaps between existing legislation and acknowledged best practices. Also, evaluation of the political, economic, legal and technological environment that supports/hinders the effectiveness of the NSS should be provided.
- NSDS development: Based on the completed assessment and in consultation with stakeholders, develop NSDS with a vision and objectives for the entire national statistical system 2015-2019 and strategies to achieve these objectives.
- Consultation and dissemination: Conduct a consultation workshop within NSS as a part of assessment process and with stakeholders’ consultation and dissemination workshop on the results of the assessment and NSDS. In the final step the consultant shall review and discuss the NSDS through national consultation and dissemination workshop.
Consultant’s Qualifications and Experience
- At least Master’s degree in statistics, economics or related fields or equivalent work experience;
- At least 10 years of work experience in statistics and at least 5 years work experience on the development of NSDS or similar documents for developing countries;
- Extensive knowledge of statistical systems of other countries and their statistical development strategies;
- Substantial knowledge and experience in statistics strategy development;
- Good analytical, writing, and presentation skills;
- Proven leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal skills. Ability to work under high pressure would be an asset.
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking English.
Qualified people should submit their CV by email to email@example.com.